The Bear - Prison Officer Dennis Bear's Time in D Division

Pentridge Voices

Regular price $20.00

On his first day in prison service, Dennis Bear witnessed a shooting at the Supreme
Court in Melbourne, where people were killed. He was awarded a commendation for his courage and ability to think on his feet helping people to safety. This would be an introduction to the next 16 years, where he served as a prison officer at the Metropolitan Reception Prison.

Called the ‘Bear’, 85% of the prison population respected him and looked out for him. The other 15% gave him hell.

These stories are first-account recollections, as told by Dennis in his own words.


78 pages, softcover, sent with tracking